Creating a searchable video archive

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
edin

Creating a searchable video archive

Post by edin »

Looking for suggestions on the best way to create a archive of video footage that will provide a file index that is searchable. The idea is to use a server of some sorts that will allow saved video files to quickly be found and viewed via a HDMI link to a projector. If you have a club set up that provides such a facility please publish your set up.
col lamb

Re: Creating a searchable video archive

Post by col lamb »

Search Google for PLEX

Is this the sort of media manager you are considering?

The system you seem to be looking for is complex, I will post more comprehensive advice seperately
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
ned c

Post by ned c »

http://www.squarebox.com/

Have a look at CatDV Standard, reasonably priced and seems to do most of what you want.

ned c
edin

Post by edin »

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for something similar to CatDV that can capture, analyse and store HDV, AVCHD and SD formats. I think that CatDV is limited in the range of video formats it can capture and handle. Plex looks a very comprehensive media management system, and for club members interface is probably too complex. If CatDV can handle the formats I list above then it may be the best system to use. Another suggested software system is XBMC however I don't have any knowledge of it and wondered if anyone had experience of setting it up and using it.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

A server implies a fixed hard drive system attached to a PC either directly or indirectly.

Then the output from the PC GPU will be fed into the projector or AV amp and via software you select the movie you want to watch.

Is this what you have in mind?

If it is also as shot un-edited video files that you want to view then you need software that can read and use the metadata that is written with more modern video files.

That said there will be a lot, and I do mean a lot of manual logging required with any system.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb