Editing Software

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Alwyn Anne

Editing Software

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Hi all

I will be getting a new computer shortly and will be in need of new editing software. I am currently using Pinnacle Studio 14 but on looking at the reviews of Studio 17 there seems to be quite a few faults with it. Can anyone give me advice on what to get around that price range and most importantly, user friendly as I can be a little dim at times!! I will need an HD version which I guess which will be pretty much all of the latest ones now. :lol:
Roy1

Re: Editing Software

Post by Roy1 »

The most reasonable priced Editing programme with most of the features that much more expensive programmes have is Sony Vegas movie studio. I have it in reserve on one of my PC's. There are hundreds of tutorials on You Tube. Actually Vegas shows you visibly how to do the basic operations. You can't go wrong. Good Luck.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

If you do go with Vegas, be careful which you buy as there are different packages with the basic, platinum and suite versions. See the specifications of each version. They also have a trial version so before you buy download and test it thoroughly.

The price of the suite at £85 does seem good value.

I usually recommend Edius Neo which is a lot more expensive but very good and very stable
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare is a comparison of the different Sony packages. Unless you know exactly what you are going to do and do not intend to use it for producing DVDs avoid the basic "Movie Studio".
The Platinum version gives you everything you might want from a "basic" NLE and DVD authoring suite.
Consider the Suite if you want some free production music, an audio editor (here we're talking about something to edit individual audio files, not adding effects and mix which Movie Studio does brilliantly anyway - Vegas was originally an audio program), and a bunch of effects. It's good value. If you don't want these though, save yourself £30.

For me SoundForge Audio Studio (the audio editor) was rather limited - unlike the full SoundForge Pro, which is fantastic (and pricey) and GoldWave (cheap) or the free Audacity were better featured.

If you go down this route and want more in the future, Vegas Pro is identical - just with "more", so there's no re-learning.

Sony Movie Studio is called just that - they dropped the "Vegas" at the last release, but this was just to avoid confusion - it's the same product, just missing a few things.

Please do try it and take time to work through the interactive tutorials. I moved from Pinnacle Studio to Vegas Movie Studio in 2006 and found Vegas very straightforward. Others find it complicated. I don't think it is because it is simple/complicated - I think it just depends on how one's brain is wired. It can seem daunting to some as so much is visible as opposed to being hidden away, but it makes everything so much more accessible once one become familiar.

I'd also recommend you try Adobe Premiere Elements (also free downloads available) which did not appeal to me.

I'm happy to (try to) help out if you get stuck with Sony Movie Studio.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Update: I've just realised that Movie Studio now has two edit styles - simple and advanced. I suspect the advanced is what I'm used to in Vegas Pro - so I'm afraid I can't help you with the simple - but that must make getting started easier - at least, one would imagine so :)
Tim
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Also if you want some very good editing software for free, legit-ably then search Lightworks in Google.

There are also plenty of video tutorials available for which you decide upon.

For audio editing, Audacity is the one, again its free and very very good
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TIM. Regarding your post re Sony movie studio having now two offerings simple and advanced.. \I like to keep up to date but I can't find any reference to this offering. I googled Sony's latest versions and got the usual three choices Basic. Platinum and suite.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy,

I wasn't referring to different versions of the program, but different "modes" of editing. My use of the word style instead of mode probably didn't help - mia culpa!

On the link I posted, look under Vegas Family Comparison, about the fifth or sixth line down. The Basic offering has only simple edit mode, whereas Platinum and Suite have advanced mode as well.
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TIM. Thanks for clearing that up.
Alwyn Anne

Post by Alwyn Anne »

Thank you all for your help, will look into them.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

I use Sony's Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite (currently less than £30) and can thoroughly recommend it. I haven't upgraded to version 13 though because it appears to be geared up for Windows 8 and has larger icons for use on touch screens (I use neither Windows 8 nor have a touch screen.) Version 12 offers everything I need anyway and I prefer smaller clickable icons and editing by mouse.

Hope this helps :-)
ned c

Post by ned c »

http://www.moviestudiozen.com/

If you decide to use Vegas Studio this is an excellent resource; it cover v13 and earlier versions.

ned c
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

ned c wrote:http://www.moviestudiozen.com/
If you decide to use Vegas Studio this is an excellent resource; it cover v13 and earlier versions.
I haven't checked the content of any videos yet, Ned, but if they are structured and clearly explained as the website this looks like a fantastic resource for newcomers (and probably old hands as well - we can all learn something from reviewing the basics). Thanks for the link.
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Excellent tuition for sony movie studio is by guerillabill (Bill Myers) on You Tube. Nearly every week he offers a new tip on how to do this and that. There are over 150 videos on you tube by this man.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer files, in both directions, between Vegas Pro 12/13 and Vegas Studio 12/13?

Thanks

ned c