Sony PMW 150

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

Sony PMW 150

Post by Peter Stedman »

Browsing around my eye caught adverts for the Sony PMW 150. From there I found a really good in-depth review of the camera on You Tube. I thought that if I won the lottery this might be just the job as a replacement for my Z5. Right at the end of the video the reviewer said that one of the down points was the cost of the mem cards. SXS in a couple of versions. He gave no price so I went on line to find out. I was amazed to discover the these cards can be from £250/£400.00. The camera takes two. The camera is supplied without any cards so that's another big expense.

I don't really know why I'm writing this, but the cost of these cards seems so huge that I wonder what others think of the cam and, of course, these very special cards. Pete
col lamb

Re: Sony PMW 150

Post by col lamb »

At £280 for a 32Gb card that is 280 reasons why anyone should avoid the camcorder.

There are masses of recording devices in the £1000 to £4000 range that would do the job and record on SD cards which are a very reasonable cost.

I would suggest that a Canon C100 with a decent lens would give better results than the Sony, its reviews give 10/10 for image quality
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I've been using these S X S cards for four years with my EX 1 camera, they are the only ones that are really, really, safe enough. The Creative Cow forum for these cameras is full of stories of disasters concerning lost media using other cards, although there are plenty of counter arguments. If you are spending £5,000 on a camera, the argument goes, why try and save on the recording media. Would you have used inferior film or tape? You only have one chance. These Sony cards are guaranteed for literally thousands of records and erasures and very, very rarely fail. If they do then Sony can rescue the media.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

SD cards are reliable, if you are concerned then buy a camcorder with twin cards that records to both cards simultaneously.

Repeatedly formatting an SD card can damage it, far better practice is to use the "delete all" function in camera. I would bet good money that the issues with SD cards has been down to bad handling or the use of cheap or rip off copies.

Look at it another way, buy four sxs cards OR buy a second camcorder OR a great quality DSLR. Its no contest for the cost of six SXS cards you could buy a Panasonic AG-AC90
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks for the replies. You will note that I initially said that my interest was "If I won the lottery". However, it's interesting reading. I did follow up your suggestion Col and had a look at the Canon C100. I looked at a couple of in depth reviews on You Tube. Whilst both reviewers were very impressed with the quality of pics etc. one had several reservations about some aspects of the design and handling in use. With that, and the overall look of the kit with the mounted handle, it rather put me off that altogether. I'm so used to Sony gear - I started with a PD 150 then the PD 170 and now have the Z5 that changing to another manufacturer with everything so different would be too much for me at my age.

One point mentioned by Michael "If you are spending £5,000 on a camera, the argument goes, why try and save on the recording media". is most valid of course. Now if I won the lottery . . . . . .
Thanks again. Pete
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Peter, I agree with you about the C100, although many professionals are now using them. They do, as you say, provide stunning pictures, but you need to take trouble for proper 'set ups' to get the best from it. For documentary and 'run & gun' it would be impossible in my opinion. I too am a Sony fan. If you did want to upgrade from the Z5 (why?), there are one or two PMW models which are very good and will provide most film makers with everything they need.

Col, I don't think that many people would require more than two, at most three, S X S cards. I have two 16Gb's and one 8. That gives me about 150 minutes shooting. I very rarely do more than that in a day but, if I do, I download a card on to a small USB powered drive. I did say 'erase' not 'format'. You are quite correct to dissuade people from formatting their cards all the time. If you use the same camera erasure is all that's necessary.
ned c

Post by ned c »

There are a number of reasons why expensive cards are used in both the Sony SxS and Panasonic P2 systems. The cameras typically record at much higher bit rates and greater color depth than the "prosumer" cameras so write/read speed requirements are much higher than SDHC or CF cards can deliver. For most of us recording AVCHD to SDHC cards meets our needs. Interestingly the Canon C100 records AVCHD to SDHC cards; so it must be the digital processing and the lenses that make any difference. I am now using a Sony NEX EA50 which is working well and a huge improvement over the Sony NEX 20 which I rated the worst camera I have ever owned.

ned c