Changing default in CS6 titler

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

Changing default in CS6 titler

Post by Peter Stedman »

Can anyone please tell me how to change the default font in the Prem. CS6 titler. Pete.
Dave Watterson

Re: Changing default in CS6 titler

Post by Dave Watterson »

I don't use CS6 myself so cannot offer first-hand comment.

Several forums (?fora) talk about this problem and the lack of a solution.
The best advice I have seen is to create and save a style, which uses the font you prefer. Delete most of the other styles and keep your one handy. Use your style as the starting point for most projects.

But I hope some of our CS6 readers will offer their views.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Peter

Premiere's titler is a pain, the general thoughts are to create a new User Style Template, based on an existing template.

Then you load that each time.
THIS IS FOR CS5.5 which I use CS 6 should be similar
Choose, create, and import title templates

The title templates included with Premiere Pro provide numerous themes and preset layouts that make it quick and easy to design a title. Some templates include graphics pertinent to certain subjects, such as new-baby or vacation themes. Others include placeholder text that you can replace to create credits for your movie. Some templates have transparent backgrounds, represented by dark gray and light gray squares. You can see your video beneath the title. Other templates are opaque.

You can easily change any element in the template by selecting the element and either deleting it or overwriting it. You can also add elements to the template. After you modify the template, you can save it as a title file for use in current and future projects. Alternately, you can save any title you create as a template.

You can also import title files from another Premiere Pro project as templates. If you share templates between computers, make sure that each system includes all the fonts, textures, logos, and images used in the template.

If you do not have title templates, see this document. After following instructions, your title templates will be restored.

Note:
When you apply a new template, its content replaces any content currently in the Titler.

Note:
Before Premiere Pro 2.0, Premiere Pro saved all titles as independent files separate from the project file. You can import titles created in older versions of Premiere Pro just as you import any footage. When you save the project, the imported titles are saved with the project.

Andrew Devis shows how to use, customize, and save title templates in this video tutorial on the Creative COW website.

Load a template for a new title
Choose Title > New Title > Based On Template.
Click the triangle next to a category name to expand it.
Select the template, and then click OK.
Import a saved title file as a template
With a title open, choose Title > Templates.
Choose Import File As Template from the Templates panel menu.
Select a file, and click Open (Windows) or Choose (Mac OS). You can import only Premiere Pro title files (.prtl) as templates.
Give the template a name and then click OK.
Set or restore a default template
With a title open, click the Templates button and select a template.
To set the selected template as the default template, choose Set Template As Default Still from the Templates panel menu. The default template loads each time you open the Titler.

To restore the default set of templates, choose Restore Default Templates from the Templates panel menu.

Click OK.
Rename or delete a template
With a title open, click the Templates button and select a template.
To rename the selected template, choose Rename Template from the Templates panel menu. Type a name in the Name box, and click OK.

To delete a template, choose Delete Template from the Templates menu, and then click OK.

Note:
If you delete a template using this procedure, it is removed from the hard disk.

Create a template from an open title
With a title open, click the Templates button .
Click the Templates menu button . Choose Import Current Title As Template.
Enter a name for the title template, and then click OK.
Import a title template from Resource Central
You can import title templates from Resource Central into the Project Panel for use in Premiere Pro projects.

If the Resource Central panel is not already open, select Window > Resource Central.

In the Resource Central panel, click Templates.

Click the downward-pointing arrow to the right of the name of the desired template to download it.

When Premiere Pro finishes downloading the template, a green check mark appears to the lower-right of the template thumbnail.

Drag any template that has been downloaded from the Resource Central panel and drop it into the Project panel.

You can not drag a template from the Resource Central panel until Premiere Pro has downloaded it.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Both, especially Colin for the wonderful full bodied explanation. I frequently look at Andrew Devis's teaching videos. I like his especially as they are in a gentle slow English rather than some garbled American. I don't really like on-line teaching videos with no videos voice over at all.

I once did try the 'template' idea but thought there just MIGHT be an obvious easy way but apparently not so. Therefore I will do what you suggest and once more create one or more suitable templates and proceed from there.

Very many thanks again. Pete.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Peter

There is nothing obvious in Premiere, it is a severe weakness but it is not the end of the world, I rarely use it

If you have now got all the CS programmes on your PC can I suggest that you learn how to use After Effects.

With AE you can produce far better titles than in Premiere, there are masses of tutorials on the Creative Cow website.

AE is how I make my graphics, with Photoshop if I want something more simple
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Ahhhhh . . . . Sadly my pocket isn't that deep these days. Or ever was come to think of it.
Cheers. Pete.