creating ISO's

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

creating ISO's

Post by Roy1 »

Is there a stand alone programme that will create an ISO from an edited video on the PC. I know Encore is not availabe, I'm not sure about DVD architect. I came across a free programme which claims to do the job but I'm afraid to download it in case it has a virus or trojan with it.
Dave Watterson

Re: creating ISO's

Post by Dave Watterson »

Roy, I will let others recommend a suitable program, but here is what I do when downloading anything:

1) Try to get the program from the website of the people who wrote it, not some other distributor. (It is usually easy to tell when you start looking at a website.)
2) Download and SAVE the file, not RUN it.
3) In Windows Explorer I right-click on the downloaded file's name and from the menu which appears, choose to scan with my anti-virus program.
4) If the anti-virus reports a problem, I immediately delete the downloaded file.
5) Normally everything is fine and I can then click on the downloaded file and choose to OPEN in - that is to make it run.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

DAVE. Thanks for the advice. I don't completely trust the security programmes offered, although AVAST seems pretty goodA few years ago I paid for Norton security and they let in a nasty virus which spread like wildfire through my PC corrupting every programme I had. It cost me £150 for a computer firm to come in and remove the virus and re-install all the programmes. A year later Microsoft security also let in a bad trogan horse.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

It is sensible not to put all your trust into any one program. I use AVG - having had experience of most of the big name offerings. It is an area where all the programs from reputable firms work pretty well. I have the anti-virus always on, but also once a week do a special scan of the whole computer ... leaving it to do its stuff while I watch a film on tv. Every second week I also run a full scan from Malwarebytes a separate program.

That protection plus some practical care about not downloading from dodgy sources or accepting the extras sometimes offered with free software, seems to work.

It would be a great pity if you cut yourself off from the immense world of excellent web offerings by being over-cautious. (Like never leaving your home because the roads can be dangerous.)

I hope some of our experts can answer your question about which reliable program to make an ISO from a video file. May I ask why you want to do that?

My point is that you can make any file into an ISO, send it to someone and they can then use the ISO to make a CD or DVD with that file on it. But if that is your aim, why not just send them a simple copy of the file on disc?

If you want to make an ISO which can be turned into a playable DVD, you need a DVD authoring program which will create all the additional files needed for a standard video DVD with VOBs, INFs, BUPs and so on.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

As you have Premiere CS6 you should have Encore CS6 as they come as a pair if not bought as part of a CS Suite.

If you have the original disc then go through the installation again, it will probably give you the option to repair, then it will find the Encore is missing.

If you cannot find the disc and are a registered Premiere user then you can contact Adobe and they should be able to point you to a link where you can download Encore.

I cannot help about standalone ISO creating software as with both Encore and Edius I just do not need one.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

COLIN.DAVE. I bought a new PC from a colleague which has on it CS6 but Encore is not there. I have come to the conclusion that the CS6 installation is iffy. I am taking off the CS6 and having my existing CS5 installed on the new PC. CS5 has served me well and I can't see much difference between CS5 and CS6. The new PC is much more powerful than the one I have the CS5 on at the moment so hopefully with the CS5 on the new PC everything will be faster to operate. I always make an ISO using Encore and burn it as a Blu-ray using IMGBURN. I find making a copy is quicker from an ISO using IMGBURN than making a copy with a copying programme such as Nero.