AVCHD Archiving (first principles)

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
col lamb

Re: AVCHD Archiving (first principles)

Post by col lamb »

Arthur

You have it the nail on the head.........compatibility.

Archive in whatever format you want but for true quality the AVI needs to be in a lossless format. Mac users have an advantage in that they have Prores which it was originally intended as an intermediate file type to aid editing it has become very popular for distribution. Now that would be OK if we were in a Mac world, producing Prores in PC land is problematic. We have other forms available but playing them back reliably is another matter. Many other forms such as xvid and divx use high compressions and the playback device has to have the correct Codec for playback. That last statement is universal.

First you do not need Format Factory to produce mpeg files that are compatible, the standard Premiere outputs will produce mpeg and MP4 files that produce great results when projected, they are also the best for distribution as they are industry compatible.

Go to vimeo and type collamb in the search box and amongst my videos is one showing how to make sd and hd files in Premiere

[Editor: I have added it here to keep things together:]

Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

Thanks Col

It looks like all my existing .avi archive will either need to be converted to .mpeg via Format Factory or continue to be accessed via my DVDs. OK, so I’m no worse off.

In future it looks like I will be outputting from Premiere in both H264, (to produce a High Def file playable on my HD TV Live kit), and mpeg2 at Pal DV High Quality, (to produce DVDs for the rest of the world on Standard Def).

Having watched your tutorial several times I can see that you have covered all the Premiere output settings needed to be addressed and will be consulting it closely when I come to output my next movie.

Arthur
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Just to confuse things further, you can also output HD as an mpeg file with then extension MPG.

The DVD standard has been prt of the Bluray standard for some time hence hD mpeg file is easy to produce.

An advantage of a HD mpeg is less compression but larger filesize.

Do check the audio on the WD media player, at one time they did not like PCM audio, I am not sure if this is still the case.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb