DVD printable blanks

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
tom hardwick

DVD printable blanks

Post by tom hardwick »

12.5p per printable DVD-R seems pretty good, delivered. I've never used Mirror discs, but how hard can it be to produce DVD-Rs 18 years after the DVD's introduction?

https://www.svp.co.uk/200x-mirror-16x-f ... -pack.html
TimStannard

Re: DVD printable blanks

Post by TimStannard »

Thanks for the link, Tom. But "caveat emptor"
tom hardwick wrote:I've never used Mirror discs, but how hard can it be to produce DVD-Rs 18 years after the DVD's introduction?
I imagine it's just as difficult now as it was when there was last an advance in the production technology. The reason products becomes cheaper over time is two-fold, advances in production technology and economies of scale. The fact that there hasn't been a wholesale drop in prices for some time suggests to me that there hasn't been a technological advance. I also suspect that sales of blank DVDs have plateaued or are falling and we might even see the price being pushed up.

12.5p seems very cheap but without any idea of the quality it's meaningless. Even if every other DVD fails they may seem like good value at 25p each. However, this does not take into account the cost of the time wasted on the failed DVD. A bad burn is costs three times over 1. The cost of the medium itself, 2. The time wasted having to burn again, 3. The time wasted having to check the DVD (the good one and the bad one). If you don't check them and these are going out professionally, then the cost to your reputation could be much more! (Actually even if you're sending out free copies as an amateur this can affect reputation).

Even if you don't account for your time, the frustration at having to do it again and not knowing whether it will work is a "cost".

I've just ordered 100 Taiyo Yuden white full face printables for £40 inc delivery (again). These are top class DVD-Rs and, having had several failures with several brands before, I know that every burn I make using these will be 100% reliable.

I've looked up Mirror on this very useful site (although I'm not sure how up to date it is) http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
It appears that Mirror manufacturing is (or at least was) outsourced to three companies, all of whose media falls into "3rd Class Media / Cheap, Unreliable, or Complete Junk Discs" category.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Buying cheap DVD blanks in becoming quite a minefield and my long experince has taught me to avoid them. As Tim has rightly said that if you get the wrong brand, it can cost you more than buying a more expensive brand in the first place. As far as I am concerned there seems to be an exception and that is Aone discs. Up to now they have not let me down after using 50 of them. I am currently using Taiyo Yuden weathshield. They are more expensive than most but up to now utterly reliable if you have the geniune disc. It would appear that this brand can now be added to the long list of faked brands of disc being sold, especially on Ebay and the like. so be careful.
Last edited by Roy1 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Interesting Roy as I use Aone BD-R and they've all been perfect. Out of the stack of 50 DVD-Rs, how many failed on you?
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TOM. I also use Aone BD-R and none have failed. Out of the 50 Aone DVD-Rs none have failed.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Ah-ha. You said of Aone DVDs, quote:
Up to now they have let me down after using 50 of them.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TOM. Sorry about that. Age attacking the brain. I'll have to put a note by the PC reminding me to check everything I print.