Canon EOS 650D

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Tony Hallett

Canon EOS 650D

Post by Tony Hallett »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with the Canon EOS 650D for film making? I have read some pretty good reviews and wondered if people had an opinion on it!

~Tony
col lamb

Re: Canon EOS 650D

Post by col lamb »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Not specifically a 650 buts it's big bro the 7D is amongst my arsenal of camcorders.

Great image quality, and multifunctional but not as point and shoot as a dedicated camcorder.

DSLR cameras are best used for video when shooting manual everything.

Some limitations are that the moire effect sometimes shows, jagged edges on some straight lines, balance of camera weight.

These record MOV files which are wrapped mp4 files, AVCHD family, and as such require a powerful PC or Mac and suitable software to edit.

Read my sticky post.......AVCHD camcorders and editing......for more info.

Also consider a Panasonic G6, smaller and lighter and just as good a video quality. I have one of these and prefer it to the Canon for everyday use, due to its size and lack of weight
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The 650D (now replaced by the 700D) is a mighty fine SLR camera at a remarkably low price. If you're really a stills photographer who just happens to want to shoot some video footage now and again it'll be a camera you'll love, because in my view the mirror and pentaprism beats the EVF (electronic viewfinder) every time.

But if you're serious about shooting movies on an SLR (because of its big chip) then the EVF cameras do a better job, and cameras such as the Panasonic GH3 are really geared up for the task. You'll find the 650D's mirror-up live-view shooting mode is full of compromises. The autofocus is alarmingly awful unless you happen to have fast primes and the so-so down-conversion from the 18mp down to 2mp at 25fps is done in a pretty crude way (see Col's post above).

Sony and Panasonic do a much better job, but then you have to accept an EVF rather than the delightful open-aperture view a pentaprism affords you. These cameras also have things such as silent auto-focus and zoom motors and options for manually controlling the audio level.

Variable density ND filters can help you control the exposure, but with the 650D you'll probably have to resort to using the variable ISO setting. It'll be no run 'n' gun machine, but if you work carefully and slowly the results will look wonderful.

tom.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Great advice from Tom.

Can I add that with the Canon and their live view which means you have to use the LCD to focus, this can be problematic especially in bright conditions. The LCD resolution and quality leaves a bit to be desired

Many DSLR users have a separate full hd mini monitor such as a Lilliput to set focus, but this does add to the bulk which is why many then have a rail system.

Oh yes, a separate mike is an essential, must have and use part of the kit

I did write a FVM article a while back on using DSLR for video, I'll scan it an email it to you if you pm me your email address
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

We never heard back from you Tony - did you go with the Canon EOS in the end?