Z5 focus problem

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

Z5 focus problem

Post by Peter Copestake »

I recently bought a S/H Sony Z5. It seemed OK when I did normal experiments. Today when focussing manually it was sharp when zoomed in but lost focus when zoomed out. The same used to happen to my old DSR300 if I inadvertently left it on macro but there is no macro lens setting on the Z5 except "Focus Macro" on/off via the menu>camera set which anyway doesn't alter the problem. My repair guy says this happens if they are dropped but before I try to claim off insurance I'd like to be sure there is nothing else I might have miss-set.
Any ideas welcome; thanks.
Peter.
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Re: Z5 focus problem

Post by tom hardwick »

Peter, are you talking about using the Z5 in the manual focus mode? So you focus when zoomed in and when you pull back everything goes unsharp - ie even the huge dof at wideangle doesn't hide it?

If you shoot everything on autofocus is it ok then?

Might be a back focus adjustment is needed - a job for the repair technician on the Z5.

tom.
Peter Copestake

Thanks for reply, Tom. Yes 'back focus problem' is the diagnosis and return to Sony the advice with a huge bill forecast now the subject of an accident insurance claim.
The only incident that I can think of was a drop onto a carpeted floor from a chair-seat 13" high. It didn't seem much to cause such a problem but I gather Z5's aren't built to old pro standards.
Auto focus can work on fullish zoom but not on WA, and if I use AF in zoom and change to manual the camera gives a ridiculous reading.
I will let this forum know how I get on. Meanwhile, treat Z5's with care!
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Any follow-up on this Z5 problem Peter?
Peter Copestake

Funny you should ask just now, Tom, as it was only yesterday that I eventually heard a sensible answer.
First things first. Delay over Christmas as all technical guys were shut down and insurance company wanted it looked at by their own tech. experts. Two collection dates arranged and courier turned up with too small a case. Third time lucky and it went off. Having heard that the experts had sent in their report I heard nothing for two more weeks. Two phone calls elicited the response that the report was with the assessors and I'd hear soon. After a month I contacted the complaints dept. Many apologies and very soon the response that the experts say it was down to wear and tear as they couldn't find any sign of the minor fall that was the only cause that I could think of so damage would not be covered but a cheque for £75 as apology for the delay and inconvenience and I got the camcorder back.
Our own repairer sent it to an approved Sony repairer capable of fitting a new lens as we all, except for the insurers, agree the back focus problem is due to a jolt of some sort dislodging nylon gears in the lens and apparently this can only be sorted by replacing the lens. He also found that dismantling the tape-recorder bit to look for damage (why as there was no complaint about this aspect?) the "expert" had used an over sized screw in replacing it and cracked the plastic! This can probably be repaired OK without too much expense. I should be getting the Z5 back in a few days with a bill for ? £1300 + VAT or so.
I was thinking of starting a new post on which domestic insurers accept one's own repairer's diagnosis. What do you think? Better not say on this forum who my insurers are but would let you know privately if you are interested. I think I have your email address. Of course I have not finished with them but the difficulty is that I cannot be sure what blow may have caused this as I wasn't aware of anything severe enough to cause damage. It doesn't help that I'd only just changed to this insurer.
My repairer says Z5s and Z7s are very susceptible to damage by jolts.
Peter Copestake