problem uploading video to computer

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Nicholas Taylor

problem uploading video to computer

Post by Nicholas Taylor »

I have a 3 chip panasonic video that records onto hard drive & sd card, I have had trouble uploading to my computer (Acer laptop windows 8) loaded with Nikon program (raw, j peg & Video) also coral video. The programs know there is something is there but it does not recognize it. can any one help. I did phone Panasonic help desk, they took me to a web site but it it did not satisfy my problem
tom hardwick

Re: problem uploading video to computer

Post by tom hardwick »

You don't tell us what model number of Panasonic camcorder you have Nicholas, but all of the 700/900 series come with a CD loaded with Panasonic's HD Writer AE 4.0. It's excellent, and will do exactly what you want it to do, simply, easily and quickly.

tom.
Nicholas Taylor

Thanks Tom for your reply, I always enjoy your articles in the magazine, my video camera is a hdc-tm300. I did have the Panasonic cd which I have lost. I tried to buy a new one from Panasonic but it did not work out as the product code I was given was nowhere near what I wanted, if anyone knows what is the number of the cd it would be helpful.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Nicholas

I notice it is your first post so a very big welcome to our forum.

Tom's advice is one way of dealing with footage on a camera, especially if there is a single video file above 30 minutes in duration.

There are always other ways with PC based editing of achieving the same thing.

Your PC should see the camcorder storage drives as stand alone memory stores.

Now using Windows explorer on your laptop: -

Create a folder with the name of say the project (i'll call it PROJECT1) and copy the whole of the contents, folders and all from the camcorder drive into the newly created Project1 folder.

Then in you editing programme import the video files into Coral video from the project1 folder

Then edit away

By the way, do this process each time you wish to transfer files from camcorder to laptop, each time importing to a newly created folder (Project2.....3....4.....etc)
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Nicholas Taylor

I have found the part number for the panasonic cd, I have ordered it & it will be delivered on or after 19.2.14. so until then thanks for the advice.