verbatim BD-RE problem

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

verbatim BD-RE problem

Post by Roy1 »

I have just bought from Total Blank Media a pack of Verbatim BD-RE discs and none of them seem to work. Previous Verbatim BD-RE's bought from this company has and still do work perfectly straight from the box. This pack, however, when used with IMGBURN it is indicated that the disc needs formatting, (This has never been necessary on previously used Verbatim BD-RE discs). IMGBURN asks if I want to format the disc,, I click yes and the operation starts I go away to make a cup of tea and IMGBURN says OPERATION FAILED. This happens on all the discs in the recently bought pack. Theres nothing wrong with the equipment as I have just burned successfully on a previously bought verbation BD-RE the same video ISO from Encore which the new discs has failed to do. Any ideas what's wrong? Suggestions apart from returning to the supplier will be appreciated.
col lamb

Re: verbatim BD-RE problem

Post by col lamb »

Roy

What version of Imgburn are you using?

2.5.8.0 seems to be the latest version

Is everything OK burning BD-R discs?

It may be

(1) Verbatim are using slightly different dyes in the disc production that Imgburn is having trouble with and the latest version may solve the problem

(2) the batch of discs are faulty

(3) your firmware on the burner may be out of date especially if (1) is true

BD-RE's are not a type of disc that I use, I only use BD-R's
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks Col. My version of Ingburn is 2.5.7.0. I have just opened INGBURN and I was offered an update to 2.5.8.0. I followed instructions and finished up with a site called livid and no update so I removed it.
I have no trouble burning BD-R.s and I have no trouble burning earlier purchased Verbatim BD-RE,s. How do I upgrade INGBURN without trying to use Livid.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Col. I have managed to upgrade IMGBURN and it has made no difference to burning my latest purchase ob Verbatin BD-RE,s. I can still burn on earlier Verbatims, and Aone BD-R,s burn okay. I am now thinking the latest purchase of verbatims are faulty. I did hear sometime ago that another firm was making verbatim blanks and was having trouble.
Last edited by Roy1 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Can one of you chaps enlighten me, what are BD-RE's as opposed to BD-R's which are the only sort that I use, and why use them?
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Michael. BD-RE discs are re-writable and can be recorded on many times whilst BD-R can only be used once. I use The re-writable disc to check on my finished edit before making the final recording on a BD-R to send to other people etc. I find that the sound balance on the PC sometimes sounds right but when transferred to disc and played on a Blu-ray player on a big TV screen it doesn't always sound right. That is the reason I keep checking re-edits of sound balance on a re-writable disc. This is the first time I have had trouble with Vebatim discs.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

For anyone interested I can report on the latest position regarding my problem. Apparently other people have had the same problem as me. It would seem that IMGBURN cannot cope with the new BD-RE discs.
New discs should be formatted on another programme and then IMGBURN will work with them. My own discovery is that Windows disc image burn programme will actually burn an ISO to a new disc without any formatting being indicated, very quickly too. After that I find that INGBURN will re-write to the disc with no problem. I have been told that Nero 11 will format the un-usable discs which INGBURN has left me. But I should imagine that the cost of installing Nero 11 would be considerably more than the discs are worth.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

....and as full face printable BD-Rs are all of 50p each it seems hardly worth bothering with a new program, Roy.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TOM. Interesting info about cost of BD-R's. Where can I get them at that price. Cheapest I.ve found is Aone and the're just under a pound.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Amazon. Less than 50p/ disc, VAT and delivery all paid.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I am going to have a trial version of Nero and see if it works on formatting the ruined discs. Knowing my luck the trial version will probally not include the formatting part I need. I do know that the trial version of Nero 14 does not incude working with RW discs. Seasons greetings to all.
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:roll:

BD-RE? problem:

This comment may not be of much help but this last week I have found that the "reputation" of Verbatim discs is somewhat kaput now. Reason: I had just concluded work on a family's video and needed to burn 12 DVD copies. The master disc - one from a tub of Tesco -R re writeable was/is fine.....To copy DVDs or Blu Rays I use a multi copier which will copy up to 20 DVDs each time in under 5 minutes max.. It also indicates on a panel screen what will pass and what will fail!

From a tub of 25 Verbatim -Rs 8 of them failed instantly! Obviously something has gone very wrong with Verbatim blank media! I ordered / bought 100 blank printable guaranteed Taioyuden DVDs....... No problems.

Chees: LEE.