Sound bars

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Sound bars

Post by Roy1 »

I hope someone can help with this as it's nothing to do with video except that it is a Tv which I play my videos on to friends. The panasonic 50 inch TV is wall mounted and I cannot reach the inputs and putputs on the back of it. My query is I want to use a sound bar with the TV to hopefully enhance the sound quality and the only sound output socket is a headphone outlet on the side of the TV. Does anyone know if the soundbar will work from the headphone socket. perhaps with a attenuator or such like. I'm sure some clever person out there can give the answer. Thanks anyway,Roy Alexander
tom hardwick

Re: Sound bars

Post by tom hardwick »

It depends on what inputs are available on the sound bar you have Roy. If you've got a conventional line-in then going headphone out of the TV to this line in will work, though there'll be an impedance miss-match that will upset the purists. The TV's remote will let you turn the headphone audio right down and this is where you should start from.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks Tom. I will have to study the specs. on sound bars. I rember years ago when I was transferring sound from film projectors using the phones out spocket I used to have a cable lead which had a built in attenuator to match up the impendences of the output to the input of an ex. amp. Would this not work if as you suggest the sound bar has a normal line input.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

If you can find the resistored cable you used years ago with your projector that would be ideal.