Graphics card for video

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

Graphics card for video

Post by Peter Stedman »

A friend is going to get a Laptop to do her video editing on. She has a Desktop PC with Pinnacle 12+ installed but now feels she would prefer a Laptop.

He budget is around £400.00. I have advised her to get as much memory as possible and at least 500g HD. She does have an external 500g HD for her video files that she can, of course, continue to use on a Laptop.

Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about Graphics cards and can't advise her at all. I know that she she will most likely finish up in PC World at the mercy of some sharp salesman.

Can anyone advise on Graphics cards or even suggest a machine from that same company that has a suitable Graphics card installed. Looking at L/Top specs means little to me.
Thanks. Pete
col lamb

Re: Graphics card for video

Post by col lamb »

Peter

Minefield

Sorry to be so blunt, but what is the colour of the sky on her world?

Her Pinnacle 12 is ancient

Her budget is wishfull thinking

She should upgrade to the latest version of Pinnacle if even considering a laptop

The laptop should be as fast as possible with as large a hard drive (partitioned into two drives at the very least) and includes an nVidia graphics card (nVidia is a must, no other!!!!!!!!!!!)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-n ... 1-pdt.html

Is the absolute minimum I would recommend and even at £700 I would not guarantee that it would give stutter free playback of HD video. The PC World site does not list what graphics card is inside so the main Asus website needs to be checked

I have an Asus N56 laptop that I paid £800 for from PC World and it works a treat with AVCHD and Premiere CS5.5 it also works well with the version of Edius Neo I have, alas my Edius 6 will not work as you need at least Edius 6.5 on a 64 bit system.

She should assume that any laptop will not work OK with the software, you have to test it out either prior of buy on condition that a full cash refund is possible
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Peter Stedman

Re: Graphics card for video

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks for reply and advice Col. I have passed all the gen to the lady (She's in her mid 80s) She is thinking about all her options now. Pete.