MP4 file too big for memory stick.

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

MP4 file too big for memory stick.

Post by Peter Stedman »

I have exported a video from Premiere time line. (Approx 25 minutes0 as a MP4 file and it shows as a total size of 4.51 gb. Tried to put this onto a memory stick with 15 gb available but error message shows that there is not enough space available. Any ideas please? (Why do I keep getting all these oddities?)
Cheers. Pete
TimStannard

Re: MP4 file too big for memory stick.

Post by TimStannard »

This relates to the same limitation I mentioned in the "Why use AE Writer" thread. The maximum file size on a USB memory stick which are usually formatted using the FAT32 file system is 4GB. It may be possible to format your memory stick using another file system (NTFS allows much bigger files) but it rather depends whether the device you intend to play it on will recognise that.

Answers one question ... comes up with another ... Sorry!
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Further my posting of putting a video file on a memory stick. Thanks for your answer Tim. I should have realised that as I knew, but at the time it didn't occur to me. (Age again) So I reformatted the stick to suit and all seemed well. However, another problem has occurred.

The copying of the video file to the stick seemed to go fine until right at the very end when an error message came up saying it couldn't find the destination . . . . At this point the PC locked up – not even the mouse would work. Restarted and started from square one. Same thing. Checked the stick and it shows the file there but when played it stops about half way though.

Any further suggestions will be most welcome. Time for a cuppa - with a whisky added!
Pete.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Peter, I know that it's not quite as convenient as a memory stick but I use a small portable USB powered drive for carrying about. The capacity is 350GBs, reasonable cost (getting cheaper by the month), and seems to be very efficient. It's a bit smaller in size than a paper back book and about as light. I use it for downloading camera files on location if my cards get full. Wouldn't care to post it to anyone but I've sent it by courier with a film file on it.
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Michael. I do have a couple of the very small USB drives so I will try that. However, it doesn't answer the problem of why the stick doesn't work. One always likes to try to find the answer.
Cheers. Pete
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Further to my last posting, I put my video file onto my usb ext Hard Drive and it played fine on several computers. So with confidence I took it to local video club and they plugged it into their upmarket Panasonic projector. They often play video from memory sticks but . . . sadly . . . the projector wouldn't recognise the attached Hard Drive. Why are these things sent to try us? The drive is formatted in NTFS. Any ideas? Pete.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Peter, maybe the drive isn't fast enough for the projection. I've seen files being used for projection at film festivals but always straight from something like a fast, powerful MacPro computer. For club visits I always prefer to take my own BD's and DVD's which I know will play anywhere. I know we're being told by the youngsters that discs are old hat and that it's all files now but for now they're fine!
Peter Stedman

Post by Peter Stedman »

Thanks Michael,
The next time I go to the club - which is very rarely these days - I will take the drive again and ask the knowledgeable projectionist to investigate the matter. Pete.