DVD drives

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
stubie

DVD drives

Post by stubie »

How can I alter the name of one of my drives which should be:NEC ND-4550A Super Multi CD-R/RW/DVD-R/RW IDE Drive but I think has been corrupted (I have no idea how or why) to: LEA DTD] RU LD-4550A? I have tried uninstalling it but to no effect. There just seems to be no way to rename it.
Can anyone help?
TimStannard

Re: DVD drives

Post by TimStannard »

You don't say what operating system you are using, but I suspect that is irrelevant.
I suspect that it is the firmware on your DVD drive which is corrupt and providing Windows with that erroneous name (and, of course, I'd be worried about other corruptions in the firmware). You can check this by going into the PCs BIOS. This is normally achieved by hitting a particular key when starting the PC - consult you user guide (fat chance!) or watch carefully the messages when booting for something like "Enter Setup". If the BIOS reports the drive correcly, then I'm barking up the wrong tree.

If the BIOS also shows the drive incorrectly, then you may be able to download a firmware update from the NEC site : http://support.necam.com/Optical/downlo ... hFirmware/

If you're not at all comfortable doing this (and it might not work anyway), quite honestly for the cost involved, I'd replace the drive with a different model. Then Windows (I presume) will detect the new drive correctly and all will be well.

EDIT: Just a though if you haven't tried this. Physically disconnect the drive. Restart Windows and delete the drive if it shows any remnants. Close down again. Connect the Drive again & restart.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

If you have a problem with the drive then change it as Tim suggested

Have you updated Windows either manually or automatically?

If you have then it is likely a Windows update issue.

If you have not it is probably an error in the firmware internally within the drive

You could also try updating the driver from within the drives properties window, download the applicable one from the manufacturers web site

For those of you who do not know what firmware is, it is the hard written code that resides within the drives control circuitry which is located within the body of the drive

I had an LG drive that would not read/write the latest DVDs (those with the new dye) and updated the firmware changed it from a Blu-ray to a DVD only drive, it is now residing at some recycling centre.

So do take care updating firmware

Finally if the drive is working OK, do nothing, just accept it
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
stubie

Post by stubie »

Thank you Tim and Col for your help.
I have taken your advice and purchased a new drive which in the end is the quick way round the problem.
Incidently my computer does not even recognise the problem drive now.

Stubie