windows 7 and games

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

windows 7 and games

Post by Roy1 »

I often like to play solitaire on the PC and with Win.XP it is no problem, but with Win 7 I can't find any games. When I click onto games there is nothing there. Are games included in WIN 7 and if so how are they to be found.
col lamb

Re: windows 7 and games

Post by col lamb »

Roy

They are there

Control panel > programs

Select Programs and Features

Select Games

They will all be in the Programs > Games folder

Some such as Reversi are not in Windows 7 but solitaire, backgammon, minesweeper etc are there.

Also if you create a Windows Live profile on the M/S web site you can then access even more games online.

If you are into Flying Simulators then Microsofts new Flight is available to download online and play, best of all the basic version is free.

Hope this helps
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Col. No joy following your advice. When clicking on to control panel, there is no folder named programmes, only programmes and features, when this is clicked a list of programmes appears with instructions how to uninstall, change or repair. There is no games on this list. Reading the windows helpline, which always confuses me, it says that by default GAMES is switched off, but I can't follow the instructions on how to switch them on.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Col. Amazingly I have managed to switch on the Games. I clicked games in search progs and files. Up came a list to tick to open various things. I ticked the box for games and lo and behold a long list of games appeared and I clicked the one I wanted to put a shortcut on the desktop. I would like step by step instructions how to get a flight simulator on the PC. When I was much much younger I used to fly an aeroclub plane until I got to old and the powers that be refused to renew my licence. So a simulator would be nice.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy1 wrote:So a simulator would be nice.
Beware! It's a slippery slope, Roy :)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Go to: -

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Click on "Download and Play now" then follow the instructions as it is installed, as part of the proocess you will need to create a Windows Live profile, but do not worry it is just a case of filling out boxes and creating a name and password.

Do please make a written note of each stage , user name, password etc for future records.

To get the best out of it you will need a joystick, PC World has plenty, Microsoft Sidewinder or Saitek are OK.

The website once FLIGHT is installed is: -

https://microsoftflight.com/en-us/home/

The base version is free and then the expansion is via paid add ons for scenary, locations and aircraft
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

COL. Thanks for info. Have now installed the flight simulator.
TIM. Your humour very much appreciated and enjoyed.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy
If you happpen to be flying and come across another flyer with the "SkiddyStraw7" tag, then that is me, the tags are generated by Microsoft and you have no choice in the name
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Col. Info noted. I won't be doing much flying until I get a Joystick. The responses using the keyboard are very slow. It may be because I am using a 32 bit set up and I think microsoft recommends a 64 bit. I may be moving up to a Windows 7.64 bit programme as my current version is limited to 32 bit and I am moving away from Vegas( good as it is) and going onto Adobe CS5 suite.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy1 wrote:... and I am moving away from Vegas( good as it is) and going onto Adobe CS5 suite.
Out of interest Roy, may I ask why? It's unusual once someone has invested a good deal of time in getting to grips with a piece of software as complex as an NLE for them to move without good reason.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

TIM. Thanks for your interest. I started off editing video with Adobe 6.5 allied to pinacle D500 as it allowed edited of analogue as well as DV. This is a very stable programme and I still use it today when needed. I then used Adobe pro 2 which was well advanced of 6.5 but when I decided on Blu-ray production, Adobe pro 2 had no disc burning facilities so I got Sony Vegas movie studio platinum 10 coupled with DVD architect just to burn blu-ray discs. So I was editing on Adobe pro 2 and tranferring the finished edit to Vegas which then thru. Architect burnt a blu-ray disc. When I installed Windows 7 I found that Adobe pro 2 is not compatible.
So I have had to ditch Pro 2 and rely on Vegas. Unfortunately the vegas movie studio and the architect studio is lacking in some of the techniques I want to use. If I upgraded to Vegas pro the cost would be prohibitive. Adobe CS5 will do everything I need and I can get it at very good price from a friend. One of the important items I need is project nesting, and another
is being able to stop a scrolling credit so that the last of the text will remain on the screen.Also adobe will successfully burn from ISO files via encore. At the moment architect distorts the sound when making an iso, no matter what burning programme I use, Imgburn, nero, windows the result is always the same excellent picture distorted sound. I know the Adobe suite will do the job properly as my friend is already doing it with his set up being the same as mine. Another thing that is bugging me is that since installing an upgrade on architect I can no longer burn HD on to a standard DVD. I know Adobe Encore will still do this. I hope I have explained myself well enough for my reasons. Cheers Roy