Jon Grey - Tasmanian film maker RIP

IAC General Discussions
Dave Watterson

Jon Grey - Tasmanian film maker RIP

Post by Dave Watterson »

I am sorry to report that Jon Grey a fine film maker from Tasmania passed away on 16th November. In May was diagnosed with lymphoma of
the brain. After his first bout of chemo did not seem to alleviate his symptoms Jon opted to cease the treatment. He had just reached 71 years.

Many of you will know Jon's work from entries at BIAFF, Guernsey Lily and the Cotswold Festivals.

At BIAFF 2015 he won the award for Most Creative Use of Sound and four stars for "Borneo Jungle Soundscape".
Other films you may remember are "Egypt Viewpoint", "South Africa Viewpoint", "Galapagos Viewpoint"

There is a tribute to him in the excellent newsletter of the Federation of Australian Movie Makers (http://www.famm.org.au/30%20AFV%20Summer%202015.pdf)
Michael Slowe

Re: Jon Grey - Tasmanian film maker RIP

Post by Michael Slowe »

Oh goodness, what bad news, and so young (by today's standards).

He certainly was a wonderful film maker, particularly his photography. Dave, I think that there is another winner that you didn't mention, either shot in Antarctica or possibly Alaska, I don't recall the title but it was awfully good.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I think it was "Antarctic Viewpoints" with stunning photography. Cannot recall if I saw it at Guernsey or Cotswolds.
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

:(
I am extremely sorry and very sad to learn of Jon's death. Without doubt he was a fabulous film maker. His attention to detail was, in my view, unsurpassed. His "Antarctic Viewpoints" was a top winner in the Cotswold (C.I.F.V.F) as was his "Egypt Viewpoints". I still have the projection
copies of these films on file. His "Borneo Jungle Soundscape" won the South Africa Protea Competition, of which I was again a judge this year.
I also have that on file.

These three films I included as part of a charitable Public Show I presented a while back. I had to stop projection whilst each of his films received a standing ovation. To me that was / is unheard of! That my friends, speaks for the quality of his work. Magnificent.
I record my comments sincerely.
Lee Prescott. FACI.