Film Making Magazines

IAC General Discussions
Brian Saberton

Film Making Magazines

Post by Brian Saberton »

Has anyone come across a magazine called "Pro Moviemaker"? It's a sister publication to "Photo Professional" and is published quarterly but I've never noticed it on the magazine stalls. It seems to be aimed at professionals so may be of limited interest to ourselves but it is described ar "the ultimate magazine for next generation filmmakers".
Brian Saberton
FredD

Re: Film Making Magazines

Post by FredD »

Yes... and it is quite a good mag IMO, and can be found in WH Smiths (Larger outlets)
Details here :

http://dslrmovie.co.uk/

Can't understand why you don't think it may be relavent, or 'of limited interest' to IAC forum members ! :?
It's a Filmakers Magazine; for film and moviemakers; which I would have thought would be of interest to
people who make films ! :roll:

Fred
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Couldn't agree more Fred, why are some people so frightened of being professional? Surely that's what we should aim to be in our film making? Most of my film making contacts are with professionals and I can honestly say that most of what I've learnt about film making over the last forty years has been from professionals.
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I'll seek it out next time I'm in Smiths.
Brian Saberton
edin

Post by edin »

Hi Brian did you get your copy of the Digital Filmmaker magazine? It positions itself as "Your new guide to Independent Filmmaking" Reading through the latest edition, Issue No19, it is a magazine for professional filmmmakers, using DSLR's and other expensive high end film making equipment. while saying that the individual article on how various films have been produced is of interest to all types of filmmaker.

I don't know how large their readership, printed and digital online versions, is , but if in any way this segment of independent filmmaker could be attracted to the IAC it would certainly be a a energetic and forward looking section of the membership. However this would create several issues.

i) the IAC is an organisation that basic membership is for the amateur and non commercial filmmaker.

II) the IAC main membership component is club membership and this is steadily declining and due to its age profile is increasingly becoming more set in its ways.

iii) due to the i) and ii) above the ethos and age profile of the IAC the potential youthful filmmakers that are attracted to the Filmmaker magazine will not be attracted to becoming members of the IAC.

Maybe it's time for the IAC to start a new section for Independent Filmmakers who make films for the love of it and fund their filmmaking through funding of various types. I will leave it there and hope that others members, not the usual few regular contributors, will air their own opinions in relation to Independent Filmmakers that the magazine "Digital Filmmaker" is targeted at.
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

+1 for Digital Filmmaker magazine.

I don't actually subscribe but I looked at it again whilst checking out the (rather poor, I thought) Amateur Photographer articles on using a DSLR for video use. I then spotted, In WHS, hiding behind the regular magazine the 'Digital Filmmaker presents The Definitive Guide To Filmmaking' and took a punt on it at £12.99...

It's now looking very dog-eared (not least because at 320 pages it's a heavy tome) but also a very interesting read! Some of the articles appear slightly out of date (only in the respect that some equipment mentioned is perhaps one or two years 'old') but there are stacks of articles detailing techniques on buying gear, shooting, composition, camera movements, lighting, interview techniques, capturing sound, special effects, making storyboards etc etc that are not equipment specific. Plus interviews with students and pro filmmakers as well as case studies on independent films, all of which should go into the pot and be brought slowly to the boil...

Maybe, edin, you could add some of the points you raised about the IAC attracting the kind of readership a magazine of this type is targeted at, in the 'Where to from here...?' thread?

John